Apply to study in Canada as an international student, extend your study permit and find out about working while you study or after you graduate.
In Canada, each province and territory is in charge of their own education system.
Get more information about schools and the education system:
- EduCanada – information for international students about education in Canada, with study program search, costs, and more
- Ministries and departments responsible for education – information about the education system in each province and territory
How to apply to a school, college or university
Once you choose a school, college or university, you must apply to go there. Every school has different rules on how to apply.
Make sure you apply at least:
- six months in advance if you want to study at a primary or secondary school,
- a year in advance for a post-secondary program at a university, college, etc.
Contact the school where you want to study to learn how to apply. They will give you the list of all the documents you need to send them. Your school will be able to tell you about:
- the cost to apply
- tuition fees
- health insurance
- rent and how much it costs to live in Canada
- language tests.
Fill out the application forms for the school or schools of your choice. Follow their instructions to submit them.
If the school admits you as a student, they will send you an acceptance letter. You need this letter to apply for a study permit.
The Government of Canada doesn’t pay for the medical costs of foreign students.
Health coverage for foreign students is different depending on where you live. Contact the school you are applying to for more information about health insurance.